Sunday, February 27, 2011

Our Weekend Adventure

So the kids and I have been couped up in the house for way too long and when Friday night came along I was trying to convince Mike to take us to the movies.  You know, we could hide in the back, go see something that's been out for a long time so we'd have the theatre mostly to ourselves...but that was a 'no go.'  The kids are still contagious. 

The kids were enjoying some music and dancing around the living room and Mike was doing his evening ritual of looking on craigslist for SUVs and trucks.  He has been looking for something to tow our trailer for our inflatable company as well as our tent trailer in the summer.  Our van just can't do it anymore.  So Mike came across an Escalade just out of Seattle, a great deal, and not too far to drive. 

So I said, 'Do you want it?'  He was like, 'Well, it's a great deal.'  So I told him to call the company.  Turns out they got the vehicle in that day and there was lots of interest already.  We asked when they opened and then asked the kids if they wanted to go for a road trip.  Of course, they exuberantly shouted 'Yes!!!'  Within half an hour we had booked a hotel and packed up all our stuff into a little suitcase.  Of course the kids wanted to pack stuff too so they brought their own suitcases with a few toys and books to keep them busy in the car.

They fell asleep within twenty minutes on the way down and we enjoyed some quality time in the car.  In the morning the kids were thrilled to go swimming in the pool, which we had all to ourselves.  Mike forgot his shorts so I had my hands full giving girls turns to be pulled around the pool and catching them as they jumped in.

Mike shot off to get to the lot early.  He took a test drive and bought the vehicle. 2000 Cadillac Escalade, notice the gangsta rims.  It needs a little bit of work cosmetically but is in good working order.  We got it for a steal of a deal and even had someone come up to us as we were getting ready to leave offering us $4000 more than we paid for it if we'd sell it to him.  We definitely took his name and number and we'll see what comes of that. 

The kids did extremely well for a whirlwind trip.  I think they enjoyed the adventure and the change of scenery.  They slept almost the whole way home which I was thankful for.  I had just turned off the radio a few minutes earlier to start to pray when a few cars ahead of us a vehicle swerved out and slid across all four lanes, went over the curb and flipped right over and landed upside down.  Good thing I was already praying; I immediately started praying for them and us.  There was a stretch in the road where every 30 seconds we'd see another vehicle in the ditch.  So thankful we were all safe as we traveled. 

Got home just in time to get ready for the Vineyard Marriage Banquet.  I've been thinking about how to balance being an encouraging wife and yet reigning in Mike when he has big dreams.  It can be so easy to say 'No' when he comes up with some crazy idea.  He was very surprised that I was willing to pack up the kids and jump in the van for an adventure but I do want to be more supportive, more spontaneous and when it's possible, walk alongside Mike and run with him in his dreams.  I know I can't say yes to every idea or thought he has but I can trust that when there's no harm in trying, it's alright to TRY.  No risk, no reward - and this little adventure was both good for the family and good for our soul.  I think it empowered Mike to know that I do support him and want him to succeed and because I am normally a very level-headed and planned person, it gave me a thrill to just 'do it.'  And it was great to know we can do something a little crazy every now and again and the kids are happy to go along for the ride. 

Have you done something spontaneous today?

1 comment: