Saturday, February 12, 2011

Open up, ancient gates! Open up, ancient doors!

I have been reading Psalm 24 this evening preparing for Soup and the Spirit tomorrow.  I don't think I'd ever read the NLT version before.

The psalm talks about who can climb the mountain of the Lord - he who has clean hands, a pure heart, who does not worship idols or tell lies....

Then it goes on to say Open up, ancient gates! Open up, ancient doors, and let the King of Glory enter.  I have always wondered about this verse.  What doors and gates are they talking about?  The doors and gates of the church? Of Jerusalem? ....Or of my own heart?

Tonight was the first time I thought it could be my own heart.  There are ancient doors that have been shut for so long to the Lord that need to be opened again to Him.  I'm not even sure what's hiding behind those doors or what that looks like but it goes on... and this is a great part -  The scripture goes on to say 'Who is this King of Glory? The Lord strong and mighty; the Lord, invincible in battle.'  Wow, the Lord is invincible in battle.  That means he can't NOT win!  He wins every time.  No one can beat him; there is no match for him.

I want to believe this!

It's not about purifying our hearts and hands and 'doing' the right things so we can get closer to God.  It's about  letting Him in to us so HE can purify us, so HE can do battle on the things that we struggle with.  It's not about us, it's about HIM.

Imagine how many things we wouldn't be struggling with if we would only believe that the Lord fights for us and He is Invincible!

1 comment: