Monday, February 7, 2011

Mom, I smell Barbecue!!

That's what Sadie said when she walked inside the door.  The air was thick with smoke, the windows had condensation on them and there was my soup pot...smoking.  I had forgotten to turn down the soup stock before leaving on errands.  It wasn't until an hour into my errands did I realize that fact.  I came home to a charred pot of carrots and celery and chicken carcass...but no fire!  Thank you Jesus! 

This was my first attempt in about five years to make my own chicken stalk.  I've heard it's easy but I've never managed to make one that tasted any good. So, I thought I'd give it a try today seeing how I had a craving for Chicken soup.  My glands have been swollen for a few days and I feel like I'm fighting something off, some soup for my soul sounded delicious. 

I took the pot outside to cool and smoke outside a bit.  Then a thought came into my head from church yesterday.  A lady had come with a word to the front and she said, 'Who wants to burn for Jesus?'  Well, this chicken sure got to burn.  I don't know if that chicken would have chosen to be burned but put in the right element and conditions, he had no choice but to burn.  I think sometimes we say we wanna burn for Jesus but we never put ourselves close to the fire.  We never step outside of ourselves and so we watch while others burn.  We need to reposition ourselves to get right close to Jesus and trust him that though we burn, it's only the old that is burned out, and all that is His, good, new will stay. 

I had to chuck out the burnt good today but the smell will remind me to step closer to the fire, burn the chaff, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment