Thursday, May 26, 2011

Quite the Morning

So what did you do this morning?  I had quite the morning.  I arose early to pray and try and hear what I am going to preach on next Sunday...I know, I am, it's true.  More on that at another time.

Anyhow, then I had a quick breakie and went off to the gym for an early morning Zumba class.  Me and the other 2 ladies enjoyed ourselves, ha ha!  Didn't realize that it would be such a small class but it was fun anyway.

Next, off to breakfast with Don and Linda, my in-laws and most of our aunties and uncles to celebrate Don's 60th Birthday.  I headed home to get ready to take the girls to dance at the seniors centre and as I turned onto my street, I saw someone laying facedown in the grass.

I pulled over my vehicle to see if he needed help.  Turns out it was a young teenager who had been encouraged by some friends to do some before-school drinking.  He had begged me to take him to school, which I didn't even know where it was.  I didn't have a phone with me to call for help so I decided to help him up and put him in my vehicle.  Of course as soon as he got in, he need to throw up!  Glad I could act fast and push him halfway out of the car and at the same time hang out to his jacket so he wouldn't fall out and onto his own puke.  Seriously!  Realizing I did not want to travel far with this kid in the car just in case he wanted to puke some more...I decided to take him home, which was only 5 houses away.  I helped him to my bathroom to 'rest' on the floor just in case.  He asked to sleep on the couch but there was no way I wanted to clean up puke in my living room so off he stumbled with lots of arm help from me to the bathroom.  I went to check on him after calling Mike for help and he said, 'I can't believe your bathroom floor is comfortable.'  He made me chuckle a few times, poor kid. 

Mike decided to call 9-1-1 and we had the whole kit and kaboodle show up at our door.  Fire trucks and then the ambulance came with sirens ablazing.  What excitement!  I felt bad for the kid, first time drinking and he has to take an ambulance ride.  But I'm hoping that he learns his lesson and is able to move on.  At one point I said, 'Good thing Jesus loves us even when we're down in the dumps, hey?'  He said, 'Do you think Jesus could take this splitting headache away?'  I said, 'I knew he could but I don't think he will.  You know, there is a consequence to your actions and that's one of them.'  He made me laugh.  He kept telling me what a nice lady I was to help him. 

Anyhow, help arrived and walked him out and off he went to the hospital. 

Later, Don and Mike told me how to do it the next time.  So for any of you who come across a drunk on the ground in the future this is what you do.  Don't move him!  Call 9-1-1 and let the experts do their thing.  I guess once you move them you are liable if they get hurt in the interim.  I don't own a cell phone and I just couldn't leave the guy lying on the side of the road so I did what I had to do.  It would have been totally different if it was a man, but this was a 14 year old who had just made an awful decision.  I know if I was his mom, I would have been thankful that he wasn't left on the ground alone.

But in the future, I know the best way to walk it out!  So, who can top that morning? 

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome! I had no idea you wrote a blog. I LOVE the title. I can't believe you did this. I'm going to peruse your history. What fun!
    Signy

    ReplyDelete