Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It is better to give than to receive

We had an assignment in our ladies group last week to pray about who God would like us to bless (in the group) and what we should do for that person.  It was beautiful to see the gifts of God poured out on Monday night.  Everything from flowers to hand-painting to notes and words of encouragement. 

I felt like Jesus wanted me to bless my friend with cleaning, windows actually.  When I told her she said that she hadn't washed her windows sinced she moved in; that was my confirmation that God was speaking to me!  So yesterday I rolled up my sleeves and got to work.  Now this woman does not just have a few windows - she has MANY windows.  She has windows in her kitchen cupboards, windows in two sets of double doors, and many, many more! 

Surpringly, I found joy and life in offering this service to her.  I actually went home thinking about what a fun day I had.  Fun?  Washing windows?  I know, crazy, but when we do it for Jesus, He somehow turns it into fun.  It was so cool to be in step with what he wanted me to do and be a part of blessing someone with His love.  And what a sense of accomplishment it is to see the finished product, clean and clear.  

I didn't receive anything the night we exchanged blessings and gifts, but I did receive God's joy and life as I gave of myself on His behalf.  It really is better to give than to receive.

PS - Have you ever tried doing something like this?  It's a great way to stretch your faith and think beyond yourself.  I encourage you to pray and see who Jesus has for you to bless this week...and then email me and tell me what you did.  Be a blessing; you will be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment