Thursday, April 14, 2011

Recipe - Roasted Yams and Sweet Potatoes

OK, time for a recipe!  Since starting on my restrictions I've been finding joy in making Sweet Potatoes and Yams.  I sometimes add some acorn squash or onions to mix just to change things up.  The reality is, you can make a delicious side dish that is super easy and tastes fantastic.  I've had a few people raving about these potatoes, even my sister-in-law who does not like them normally, so here you are!

Greek/Italian Style Roasted Yams and Sweet Potatoes

Cut yams and potatoes into about one inch cubes and place in baking dish.  I do about one medium size potato per person.  Drizzle the oil of your choice - olive oil, grapeseed, canola.  Add about 1 tsp. each dried basil, oregano and rosemary.  Crush 2 cloves of garlic and salt and pepper to taste.  Then I just shake the potaotes until coated well.  Place in 400F oven for one hour.  You can stir halfway through but not too often as you don't want to smush them up.  They get nice, sweet and caramelized as they brown and are sooo delicious.

Mexican Style Roasted Yams and Sweet Potatoes

Start off just as above with cubing and oiling and then instead of adding above spices, add about a heaping tablespoon of cumin.  It could be more like 2tbsp. but just keep going until it looks and smells good. I don't really measure, just pour until really coated.  Add 2 cloves crushed garlic and salt and pepper to taste.  Bake the same amount of time and you're good to go!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment