Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's better to give than to receive

My friend Meg and I were praying for an acquaintance of ours last night.  She has long-term health problems and we didn't know how best we could help her.  We have both have made meals in the past, offered to pick up things, but wanted to do something else.  After praying, Meg asked if I got a word from God as to what we should do 'because you and Him are like this' (crossing her fingers).  I smiled and said that I didn't and asked her the same question 'because you and Him are like this too'.  She did have an idea come to mind while praying and she shared it.  Well, I thought it was the Lord speaking so we both agreed to go and visit our friend the next day and spend the day serving her and loving her.

What a great day!!!  I sit here absolutely exhausted but on a high knowing that we were accomplishing His will for us and for her today.  We went in the morning with our children and got to work sweeping floors, cleaning out the fridge, cleaning toilets and sinks and bathtubs.  We brought lunch to feed all the kids and a delicious lunch for the ladies as well : ) Carrot Mango Salad and Sweet potato and zucchini pancakes, Yum!

Before we left we were able to pray and encourage our new friend and through our actions and our words, love her.  What a privilege to bless and, in turn, be blessed.  It felt so good to be able to just give the day to Jesus and to His work.  I know that as I go through my tasks at home I am going about His work as well, but today was very special.  I prayed for their home to be filled with hope and comfort and peace as I scrubbed their bathtub.  I felt as though I was fulfilling God's heart for her, in a small way, showing her that he will take care of her needs.  If she can trust Him with the small issues of life like housework and meals, I pray that she will be able to trust Him with the big stuff too.

It was also very special to have my girls with me.  On the way I prayed with them and asked them to be a good friend to the little girl who lived their because her mommy is sick and she needs to feel God's love.  I had hoped they would be a blessing as well and not a distraction!  God so answered my prayers.  Dear sweet Juliana was in all her glory with little girl friends to play with.  They had such a great time, we set up a play date for next week.  We were able to not only fill up a cup of love in one woman, but also in a little girl too!

What a great day and a wonderful reminder that it is truly better to give than to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment