Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easter Baking

So I wanted to give you all a heads up that I will be away for the next few days and won't be near internet so you won't be getting a post from me until probably Thursday.

But before I go, I wanted to leave you with these delicious pictures.  For those of you who haven't heard about Jhonny and Jerry Omeas, here we go!  I went to Haiti in September 2010 and while I was visiting a tent city I met Jhonny; a kind haitian young adult who shared a tent with his brother and another family.  Both of his parents were deceased and his caregiver went missing during the earthquake and they don't know what happened to her.  So here they are, re-located from Port-au-Prince and living a simple life.  Jhonny talked about wanting to go to YWAM and do a DTS(Discipleship Training School).  High hopes for someone who only can make money when missionaries come to town to build homes.  He then would work alongside them or act as an interpreter and get paid for the week.  This money does not get saved but is used to buy a meager amount of food or other necessities to keep him and his brother until the next time he works.

Someone else at the base had talked about sponsorship and I felt my Spirit quicken within.  This felt like something I could do!  Little did I know how much this journey would 'cost' me.  I begin raising funds in November 2010 and started small. I sold the kids clothes and toys and then started baking - $10 here, $5 there.  At Christmas, my baking boomed and I was able to make over $400 over two weeks!  I poured a lot of hard work into my baking, both in time and prayers.  I would mash the oats for my oat fudge bars using a mortar and pestle bought in Haiti and pray that God would prepare them for the next chapter of their lives, providing for all their needs and removing the things holding them back from Him.

My total is close to $1600 now.  The only problem is that DTS is 11 months for Haitians in St.Marc and that costs a total of $4000 per person.  So I have a long way to go!

Egg Shaped Carrot Cakes 5 for $10 - these will be decorated in colour and much nicer than this!!
I am getting on the baking bandwagon again, so if you are in the Abbotsford Area or know people who are, please pass my information around.  I'll be taking orders until the morning of Good Friday and then orders will be ready for pick-up and delivery the following morning (Saturday) as well as Easter Sunday.

Here's a rundown of what I have to offer:

First off, for Easter, we are offering Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing.  This is a fantastic recipe and so delicious and you can have them however you'd like
Mini size $10 for 15 minis.  There will be a mini egg topping each one.

A close-up of the minis
The always lovely regular sized Carrot Cupcake, again topped with mini egg,
6 for $10

We will also be offering a great Easter Dessert for those of you who'd rather not bake but still want that hope baked taste!  Ooh, that was a typo but I like it!  Choose from Chocolate Mousse Cake (divine!), Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake or Vanilla with Blueberry or Strawberry Topping.  These will sell for $30 each and will feed about 12 people, approximately a 9" or 10" Cake.  If you'd like to make the cheesecakes sugar or wheat free, add $8 and I'll customize!  I can also do the carrot cakes without icing and make them sugar and wheat free as well (add $4).  One last offering is Caramel Dipped and Mini-egg covered Pretzels 4 for $10 or $3 each.  So get your orders in and let's work together to get some young guys to Bible School.  If we all do a little, we can accomplish a lot.  

Comment and post your orders that way or email me jmcjannet-at-hotmail-dot-com (writing it this way to avoid spam)

PS - If you have enjoyed my baking before and would prefer one of your personal favourites, I'm open to making those as well - Oat Fudge Bars, Pumpkin Scones, Banana or Pumpkin Bread, etc.  

No comments:

Post a Comment