Sunday, March 20, 2011

We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo...How about you, you, you?

OK, if you have small children, especially under the age of four, I strongly urge you to get a zoo pass at the Greater Vancouver Zoo.  We have had passes for our kids since they were babies.  I got one when Caleb was six months old just so I could go for a walk and see something other than houses...and then it just got better as the kids started to enjoy it : )  But seriously, kids under four are free and an adult pass is $60 - this includes the train and parking (both $5 each).  You definitely can get your money's worth for this!  We go a lot and there's always something new to see or do.

Last week we took Tehillah and spent our whole time at the front of the zoo. The kids LOVE the playground and so we mostly hung out there.  But we ALWAYS have to go to the vivarium.  I love it in the winter because you can go thaw out before heading home!
 They've built this cool new dome that the kids can climb in to see the lizards all around.  They love it.
Tehillah was pretty enthralled with the marmosets.

We stuck around for the birds of prey show, that I've probably seen 20 times, but this time there was a really small audience the birds were extra close to us!

Caleb didn't even notice the monstrous wings just barely above his head when I took this one!!!
Now I've never held one of the birds of prey before despite seeing the show numerous times but I thought I'd give it a go this time.  I had brought my camera and Caleb was dying to use it so I passed it off and got to try my hand at a Harris Hawk named Frodo.



It was fun to try something new!
Of course we love the zoo so much that we went again later on in the week because Sadie missed saying hello to the donkeys and we wanted to have a train ride.  We walked to the back and were delighted to see the bear out of hibernation.  Not only was he awake but we was throwing logs around like they were chew toys.  He was running through his enclosure and even had a little bath in his pond.  We haven't seen that much action out of him ever!
And where else can you get pictures like this of your kids riding on a moose?
It's a great way to make memories with the kids, get some fresh air and tire them out : )  The animals seem to always be doing something different and the kids get fascinated with something new each time.  So all that to say, it is a great bang for your buck to get a zoo pass... and you already know a friend who would love to go with you and some really adorable kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment