Thursday, March 24, 2011

Coconut Banana Almond Ice Cream - Yum!

So I have been killing myself slowly as I look through endless food blogs for recipes that I can actually eat this week.  I found a great site but it is meticulous skimming through so many food blogs to find what works for my diet.  Food Buzz is the one I've been on most lately; lots of good stuff on there. 

Anyhow, I've been hankering for something sweet and when Mike said he was going out to get everyone ice cream I asked him to get some coconut milk so I could make my own.  Took a few ideas from a few places and blended into a delectable treat that I could actually enjoy.  Sugarfree, dairy free, gluten free ice cream!

So how do you make this concoction you ask?  Well, it's actually quite simple.  I sliced two bananas and put them in the freezer.  Some things I've read say to freeze for two hours but I was way to impatient for that, so it was more like one hour.  I grabbed the blender and then I added half a can of coconut milk - maybe a bit much, probably only need 1/4 to 1/3 of a can for next time, a tsp. of agave and a handful of almonds.  I blended up until the almonds were more fine.  Add in those mostly frozen bananas and mix until smooth. 

I put half into a bowl and stuck it in the freezer for, oh, ten minutes...again I was too impatient.  It could have used 30-40 minutes for sure!  Anyhow, I pulled it out and enjoyed it while we watched a movie and it was so delicious.  I put the other one in a freezer container for another day to enjoy! 

Now, this is NOT a low fat dessert - it was definitely indulgent but it felt great knowing exactly what I was eating.  There was nothing refined in there; No -ites or -oses or anything else of that nature, so for that, it was worth it. 

Coconut Banana Almond Ice Cream
2 bananas- sliced then frozen
1/4 to 1/3 can of coconut milk
1 tsp. agave (or to taste)
small handful of almonds

Blend last three ingredients, then add the bananas and blend till smooth.  If you are patient, put it in the freezer for half and hour or so to freeze up a bit, otherwise enjoy this soft cool treat right away. 

Makes about 2 servings. 

Of course the possiblities are endless in combinations for this - just start with the two bananas and then go bananas! Ok, that sounded like a dad joke.  You could add shredded coconut, pineapple chunks, etc.  Have fun and let me know what you come up with.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to try this tomorrow. I'm going to go for coconut macadamia nut (and pretend I'm still in Hawaii). Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete