Thursday, September 8, 2011

Alternative 'Peanut' Butter for those who have kids in a Peanut Free School!

So, last year was definitely devastating when I realized that I wasn't allowed to serve Peanut Butter and Jam sandwiches to Caleb for his lunch everday at school.  It soon became a morning ritual instead but there were still days that I wanted the simplicity of making that kind of sandwich for him.  And so I bought (for $6.50!) a small jar of sesame seed butter.  I didn't enjoy the taste of toasted sesame seeds so much but Caleb loved it.  So for a special treat I would make him that for school.   This year, I decided that I didn't want to go that route but would try making some sort of alternative on my own.

I looked online and found a great recipe for Sunflower Seed Butter.  Simple, can be done in your blender and is literally made in less than 3 minutes.  I can't wait to have Caleb try it!

Check the actual recipe out here at Peas and Thank You. Props to you, Mama Pea!

I ended up using way more than 1 or 2 tbsp. of oil in order to make it smooth, more like 6!  But I also have a blender that was making really scary noises and telling me he wasn't happy to be blending these seeds so I was generous with the oil to make him happy. 

It tastes great!  If you like sunflower seeds, you'll love this!

I am thrilled to have an alternative for Caleb and for me too!  Because peanuts are one of those things that I can't have right now, it's nice to have an alternative to my almond butter as well. 

This is so great to have an awesome, simple and quick recipe at my fingertips at the fraction of the cost of buying the only 'nut-free' spread advertised on the market.  Try it out and let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment