Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Help - A book review

First off, I'd like to say I am not a book critic nor do I try to be.  In fact, The Help, by Kathryn Stockett is the first book I have read in a really long time.  Being a mother of three young children, time doesn't always lend itself to me for personal pleasure.  But when we were away at Camp Likely with only one child in tow, I had the time to read the book...devour it is more like it.  I can see why I shouldn't read on a regular basis because I get so addicted that I can't put it down.  Not a great quality with three kids running around.

Anyhow, here it goes.  Both my mother and mother-in-law recommended this book to me and because I knew there was a movie coming out and I would have some time, I decided to purchase it.  It takes us back to a time in Jackson, Mississippi, where coloureds and whites do not have equal rights.  Privileged white communites hire African Americans, of course you won't see that term in the book, to raise their children, clean their homes and work their fields.  This is a standard; there is no thought that life should be any other way. 

Miss Skeeter, a young, unmarried college graduate, is not quite as exuberant as her best friend, Miss Hilly Holbrook, who has started a Bathroom Sanitation Initiative to ensure that all white homes have a separate bathroom for hired help so as to not get any communicable diseases.  She is actually apalled as Hilly's ignorance (though she keeps those thoughts inside as no one wants to mess with Miss Hilly) As time goes on, Skeeter, an aspiring writer, decides to persue an idea of writing a book from the point of view of the Help. 

This task isn't as easy as it seems because what black woman is going to share secrets about their white employers with another white woman?  As fate would have it, circumstances align to allow Miss Skeeter, not one, not two, but a dozen women who are willing to help her with her book. 

Through the process Skeeter learns much about her own outlook on life and grows into a woman who walks against the grain even at the cost of friendship and status. 

This is a wonderfully written book and is definitely a 'must-read' in my opinion.  It made me wonder what I would behave like if I lived in the same town and era.  Would I have been blinded by the ignorance around me or would I be stirred to do something about it? 

I've fallen in love with these characters and can't wait to see the movie, though I know, movies are generally not as good as the book.  Even so, their courage to stand up for truth in the midst of hardship is inspiring and even if you can't read the book, go see the movie.  I'm sure it will inspire as well. 

PS - My favourite part is The Terrible Awful...made me smile, made me laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment