Thursday, January 8, 2015

35 Random Acts of Kindness for my 35th Birthday - Part 2

Alrighty, ready for the next seven!?

8.  The kids and I headed to the Dollar Store to do some hiding.  Of course, they were so good at hiding that when we went back the next week all but one of their surprises were still there!!  So it was time to hide again (and make it a little easier to find this time).  They each hid 2 of the below notes in the kids section so that some kids would find it and be able to enjoy a special treat. This note was written by my sweet Abbi!

9.  While we were there, Sadie and I filled all the candy and toy machines with quarters and toonies and then turned them just so you couldn't see the money in it.  Would have been fun to be there when those were discovered!

10.  I enjoy baking and every holiday season I hand out baking to the neighbours but I always miss two neighbours on our street.  Our next door neighbours, whom I had never formally met before and I'm ashamed to say we've lived here for almost 8 years, and another neighbour a few doors down.  So I was prepared this year to hand out baking and make sure not to miss a house.  We headed down to our usual stops and then walked over to the 'new' house at the end.  We knew one man who lived there as he always lets the kids play with his big dog but the man who answered the door was someone entirely else!  I don't think I'd ever seen him before so we introduced ourselves and gave him the card and goodies and headed out to the next house.  When we arrived home from holidays, there was a card in our mailbox addressed 'To our good neighbours' from the family!  Just a little kindness can go a long way.

We also introduced ourselves to our next-door neighbours who we see from afar all the time but haven't really chatted with (or should I say 'I' haven't really chatted with) and they were very grateful for the gift as well.  It was so lovely to make the new connections in our community.

11, 12, and 13.  This year we gave cards to both the driver and runner of the people who pick up our garbage, recycling and compost.  They all do a stinky job but do it without complaint and work hard so we wanted to thank them.  I noticed that they often have their ear buds in as they run from can to can so I gave each person (a total of 6) a Christmas card with a  $10 iTunes card in it so they could purchase some new music to listen to.  The compost guys came first and were very enthusiastically grateful, then the Recyclers and then the Garbage guys who I had to just leave on the garbage can as we were heading out to work but I'm hopeful that they got it.

This was the FIRST time I had thanked our public servicemen and I did notice one thing about my neighbours - it definitely wasn't the first time for Grandma Rose!  Grandma Rose is the sweet lady that lives across from us and she is the resident grandmother to all neighbourhood children.  As I ran out to give my gift, she was ready with a package full of baking.  She is one of those people you just CANNOT out-give...and believe me, I have tried.  I would make her a jar of soup and she would return the jar full of chocolates and jelly beans. I would bring her dinner, she would bring me baking. I just had to come to grips with the fact that she could not be out given!!  She is such a wonderful example of a generous spirit; I am so blessed to have her living across from us.  All that to say, she is a thoughtful lady and, of course, she would remember to bless those men too!

14.  Make a Donation to the Food Bank - This one was generously done by Amy and Jakey on behalf of me.  Amy and her 4 year old son dropped of donations to the food bank and Jakey was 'pleased as punch' to be a part of my birthday by giving me this gift.  Thank you Amy and Jakey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment