Friday, January 20, 2012

Caleb's 'Lose a Tooth' Party

Caleb has lost his fourth tooth this week and he came up with the incredible idea of having a party to celebrate it.  Now I am one of those moms who says 'No!' a lot but I have really tried to make an effort to hear my kids and say 'Yes' when I can.  This seemed like a reasonable request after we talked through what an actually party would look like - cake, a dance, grandma and papa, easy enough.

We did discuss that if I allowed a party this time, would he expect one every time?  Of course the answer was 'Yes' from my beloved first born.  And so my answer initially, as all moms would answer, was 'No way!'  But as children do negotiate, we made it a deal that every child when they lose a tooth would get to choose to have a tooth party ONE time only.  Everyone agreed and was happy to make preparations for the party.



So first on our list this morning was making a Ginger-tooth House.  I had a leftover Gingerbread house from Christmas and put it to good use.  Of course I had to make it toothy so we made the spearmint leaves into little teeth with eyes.  Kids loved that!  While they ate their lunch, I made the cake.  To Caleb's specifications, he ordered a chocolate blueberry cake with blueberries on top.  I found a healthy one that I could eat and went to work.  And because he is the boy of honour today, when it came time for decorating, he was the one to do it...very happily I might add.  'Mom, when the girls lose a tooth they are going to be so happy to do this.'  'Why, son?' I ask.  'Because you get to lick all the spoons!  It can be so easy to please a child.  I should have just given him a bunch of yummy spoons to lick! 
Decorating the SECOND layer with blueberry glaze  
After licking the spoon and pouring over my leftover The finished product.  Caleb insisted on eyes though I was happy with just a mouthy toothless grin!ganache from Christmas Truffles. 
So the cake is done, chicken strips in our oven thanks to what the tenant left behind in his freezer and we are waiting for grandma and papa to arrive so they can start the dance and party!  And Mike and I are going on a date tonight.  The kids don't seem to mind as long as they have their cake...and eat it too!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jocelyn,

    I don't even know how I stumbled into your blog. As I saw your photo's I though hey I know this girl. LOL

    Your children have grown so much!

    ReplyDelete